UQ College Programs
A suite of programs offer you the opportunity to engage in higher education studies and pathways to boost study and career opportunities.
THE UNIVERSITY OF QUEENSLAND PROGRAMS (UQ)
UQ College delivers this UQ Accredited Associate Degree in Business, as a standalone qualification, or a pathway into the fourth semester of UQ’s Bachelor of Business Management.
This bridging program offers domestic student a robust program with a pathway to further study options at The University of Queensland and other universities. This 28 weeks program has No Tuition Fees associated with the program.
VOCATIONAL EDUCATION AND TRAINING PROGRAMS (VET)
This qualification is delivered online giving you the opportunity to work and study in your own time to meet the requirements for university entry. This qualification will equip you with life-long learning skills specific to tertiary education. This qualification will pathway you into university.
INTENSIVE FOUR WEEK UNIVERSITY PREREQUISITE COURSE
University Prerequisite courses in Mathematics B, Biology or Chemistry are delivered on St Lucia campus over a four week period in November to December of each year. Successful completion of an individual course will satisfy the relevant prerequisite at The University of Queensland.
Associate Degree in Business
The Associate Degree in Business is delivered at St Lucia Campus.
QTAC CODE: 752302
If you would like to undertake higher education studies through pathways that will boost your study and career opportunities; The University of Queensland’s UQ College is the place for you. By choosing to study the Associate Degree in Business, you will be supported to achieve your potential through a student-centred learning approach, small classes, specialist teachers and excellent facilities.
The program is delivered across 4 trimesters enabling you to graduate in 16 months. Successful completion of this UQ accredited degree provides a strong standalone qualification and, upon meeting specific standards, seamless entry into the fourth semester of UQ's Bachelor of Business Management, or into programs at other Universities.
When you successfully complete the Associate Degree in Business with a cumulative grade point average of 4 (on a 7 point scale) in your business courses you may be granted admission to the Bachelor of Business Management at UQ and may be granted 24 units of credit (or 3 semesters of full-time credit) towards that degree program.
There are two QTAC intakes per year January and September
Do you meet eligibility criteria? Prerequisite requirements are that you have completed Year 12 or equivalent and have attained an OP minimum of 15. An OP 15 equates to a Rank of 67 or IB of 24.
What is an OP: An OP or Overall Position, is an achievement number between 1 and 25 with 1 being the highest level. An OP indicates a Queensland state-wide rank order position. It is the order of merit assigned to current Queensland Year 12 student graduates.
What is a Rank: A Rank is a selection rank between 1 and 99 with 99 being the highest level. It is used to compare different qualifications on the same scale for the purpose of tertiary entrance. The selection rank is the order of merit assigned to interstate and overseas applicants, qualified OP ineligible Queensland Year 12 students and Non-Year 12 applicants.
What is IB: IB is the ranking for International Baccalaureate schools. The rank is converted to a ‘combined rank’. The combined rank is on the same scale as the ATAR (Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank). This is then converted to a QTAC rank.
International Students: Application through The University of Queensland International Unit: https://www.uq.edu.au/international
Domestic Student: Application to the Associate Degree in Business is via QTAC.
Navigate to the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC) website
- Click on the ‘Apply now’ button
- Click the ‘Apply here’ button
- Create an account if new to QTAC or log in if already registered
- Input Associate Degree in Business QTAC course code: 752302
The Associate Degree in Business will only show when the intake is open
- Submit your application via the QTAC website
- If your application is successful you will receive your offer directly from QTAC.
- You will need to formally accept your offer from UQ (there will be instructions on how to do this in your offer letter and how to enrol).
The links below provides information valid for students commencing from 2019, including how to apply and the course list.
The information and links below provide information for current and future students enrolled in the Associate Degree in Business.
Programs are provided so you know what courses you are expected to enrol in every trimester depending on your commencement in the program. Program plans can be seen below:
This link provides an overview of the Associate Degree in Business Program structure and planning a program.
To plan your program, you should:
- read the Official Rules and Course lists under the Program Rules and Requirements link in the Courses and Programs section at the following link http://www.uq.edu.au/study/program.html?acad_prog=1604#australian
attend appropriate information sessions held prior to and during Orientation.
Tertiary Preparation Program
The Tertiary Preparation Program provides a pathway if you have experienced educational disadvantage or you wish to return to study, but lack the formal qualifications for University entry.
The program is delivered over 28 weeks in two trimester periods. The program is offered at UQ College St Lucia Campus in January, May and September of each year.
You will learn skills required for successful university-level study and on completion of the program, you will use a grade point average to apply for entry into a university degree.
As a Student of UQ College you will be part of the university community, and you will have access to the full range of support services that The University of Queensland provides. This allows for you to have a smooth transition into a University degree on successful completion of the Tertiary Preparation Program.
The Tertiary Preparation Program attracts a very broad profile of students looking for a new start or seeking the opportunities offered through the targeted course offerings. Our current cohort includes students who didn't undertake Year 12; students with a very successful career, now seeking a new career underpinned with a solid academic experience; students wanting to improve their rank to meet chosen degree criteria; and students focused on one or two courses only, depending on their needs and direction.
Course Cost: No Tuition Fees
Do you meet eligibility criteria?
To be eligible to apply for the Tertiary Preparation Program you must be 18 years of age or have completed Year 12.
The Tertiary Preparation Program is open to Australian domestic students as well as New Zealand citizens and holders of a permanent visa for Australia.
If you have completed more than 1 full year in a tertiary degree you will not be able to apply for the program.
Language Literacy and Numeracy Testing: Conducted for all applicants.
What is an LLN test?
The Language, Literacy and Numeracy test, known as the LLN test, is an online test undertaken at the time of application. It forms part of the entry requirements for the Tertiary Preparation Program and contains questions directly related to the courses English and Mathematics. The test is divided into three sections, English, Math A and Math B.
What is the purpose of the LLN test?
The purpose of the Language, Literacy and Numeracy test is to assess the current level of competency in English and Mathematics that you possess, alongside providing an indication of your ability to flourish within the Tertiary Preparation Program’s learning environment.
How to Apply
- Download the Application Form - at top of page and complete all sections
- Your typed name is acceptable as a signature
- Save the form as a PDF file
- Email your completed application form, including a copy of your photographic ID and any qualifications if relevant, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or, mail to:
Student Administration, UQ College
C/- The University of QLD, St Lucia, Qld 4072
If you are under 18, please call UQ College on +61 7 3346 8222 to obtain a Parental Authorisation form.
Important Dates for January 2020 Applications:
Applications Close: Monday December 20, 2019.
Start of Study: Monday January 20, 2020.
Special Consideration is a College equity measure to ensure that appropriate allowances are made for students from disadvantaged backgrounds. In particular that the LLN test may impact negatively on the students’ ability to demonstrate their learning achievements. Students are asked to self-identify for special consideration.
Academic English for University Studies
Pre-University Mathematics A
Pre-University Mathematics B
Pre-University Business Management
Pre-University Behavioural Science
Pre-University Health Exercise and Diet
10246NAT Certificate IV in University Preparation
SUBJECT: MATH B
To apply for the Intensive 4 week course in Math B please select the Apply Now button above to download your application form and email form to: email@example.com
Once the College receives your application form, you will be contacted to organise a date and time to complete your Language Literacy and Numeracy Test and Interview. On successful completion of this test, you will be asked to enrol online directly into your chosen subject. Payment of $1500 will be required for completion of your enrolment.
SUBJECTS: BIOLOGY OR CHEMISTRY
To apply for Biology or Chemistry, you will be required to complete a Language Literacy and Numeracy test online. On successful completion of this test, you will be asked to enrol online directly into your chosen subject. Payment of $1500 will be required for completion of your enrolment.
Please select the Apply Now Button at the top of the page.
The units of competency below form part of 10246NAT Certificate IV in University Preparation.
UQ College offers intensive short courses over 4 weeks for you to obtain a prerequisite in Mathematics B, Biology or Chemistry.
Successful completion of an individual course will satisfy the prerequisite requirements in Math B, Chemistry or Biology at The University of Queensland or any other university.
Timeframe: 4 Weeks November - December each year.
Cost: $1500 per course
Course Materials: All course-learning materials are supplied
2019 Applications Close: Friday November 8, 2019
2019 Start and Close of Study:
Tuesday November 19, 2019 to Saturday December 14, 2019
All training and assessment will be delivered at St Lucia Campus.
Students attend Monday - Friday 8.30am - 5pm.
There are 4 Saturday tutorials available to students of which three are optional
Computer and internet access will be available on campus throughout all training.
Specific Science Courses:
Students seeking entry into a Biology or Chemistry course are required to have undertaken at least one year of science in their senior high school studies or equivalent
Award - Statement of Attainment:
On successful completion of the requirements of your course, you will receive a Statement of Attainment issued by UQ College.
When will your results be ready?
Results will be available for the Major QTAC offer round in January of each year. It is your responsibility to list this course in your QTAC application, as well as scanning your Statement of Attainment through to QTAC on successful completion.
UNITS OF COMPETENCY/COURSES:
UPRMTH401 - Apply mathematical concepts to solve problems
UPRCHE401 - Investigate chemical science problems
UPRBIO401 - Investigate biological science problems
You are eligible to study a course if you meet the entry requirements. Entry requirements are the minimum qualifications, knowledge, skills, experience and attributes you need to successfully complete a course or program.
Eligibility Math B: To determine your eligibility for UPRMTH401 within 10246NAT Certificate IV in University Preparation it is important that you complete an Application Form. Ensure this form has been fully completed and signed, and all entry requirement documentation is included. The application form saved and forwarded to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Eligibility Biology or Chemistry: To determine your eligibility for UPRCHE401, UPRBIO401 within 10246NAT Certificate IV in University Preparation it is important you select the APPLY NOW Button above, and all entry requirement documentation to be attached to your online enrolment.
- As this course is the first step on a prospective academic pathway, students must have demonstrated academic ability at the required minimum.
- Unique Student Identifier (USI): It is now a requirement to have a USI number to enrol and receive your qualification or Statement of attainment. If you do not already hold a USI, you will need to go to www.usi.gov.au to create one prior to starting your enrolment.
- Completion of High School Year 11 in Australia, or competencies that demonstrate equivalence at a comparable level.
- Mature age students or learners from disadvantaged groups without the minimum educational requirements for entry, who are able to demonstrate through interview/testimonials/work samples, the maturity and motivation to succeed in the course may be granted special entry.
- Successful completion of a subject specific Language, Literacy and Numeracy test.
- Interviews in Math B will be assessed for suitability on the basis of prior educational qualifications and/or life skills and experience.
Making an informed decision:
Please access the following links relating to enrolment:
- How to obtain a USI
- How to enter your subject into your QTAC application
- Math B Assessment Schedule
- Chemistry Assessment Schedule
- Biology Assessment Schedule
- VET Student Handbook
- Once UQ College receives your Application Form for you will receive a return email confirmation of receipt of your application including the following:
- You will be contacted either by phone or email to establish a suitable date and time for your Language, Literacy and Numeracy test relating to your specific course/subject test;
- You will be required to show proof of ID at interview;
- At interview, you will be assessed for suitability on the basis of prior educational qualifications and/or life skills and experience;
- UQ College will communicate with you regarding the outcome of your tests and interview within 5 business days, if successful you will be directed how to enrol online through the UQ College website
- On completion and payment of your enrolment you will be sent emails with further directions relating to your course.
CHEMISTRY OR BIOLOGY
- To apply for Biology or Chemistry, you will be required to complete a Language Literacy and Numeracy test online. (BKSB)
- On successful completion of your LLN Test you will be asked to enrol online;
- You will be required to attach proof of ID;
- On completion and payment of your enrolment you will be sent emails with further directions relating to your course.
Proof of Status:
- One form of photographic identification is required as part of your 10246NAT Certificate IV in University Preparation program enrolment.
- For Australian and New Zealand citizens
- Copy of your passport or driver’s licence or age card
- Holder of a permanent Visa including a permanent Humanitarian Visa
- Copy of your Passport or Immigration Card; AND
- Copy of your Visa or letter from the Dep. of Immigration and Citizenship
You are required to submit the following:
- Completed Online Enrolment form
- Photo ID x1 – Attached to enrolment process
- Proof of Status documentation (if required)
- Read all relevant information to ensure you are making an informed decision to enrol.
10765NAT Certificate IV in Adult Tertiary Preparation
This qualification is delivered online giving you the opportunity to work and study in your own time to meet the requirements for university entry.
Whether you are looking to gain entry to the university via an alternate pathway, increase your Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC) ranking, or seeking a specific prerequisite for entry into university, this qualification will equip you with life-long learning skills specific to tertiary education.
This qualification is recognised by The University of Queensland as a high-quality academic pathway. The Certificate IV in Adult Tertiary Preparation is recognised as a Year 12 alternative, you will be able to apply to the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC) for a ranking on completion, or alternatively, you may just complete a specialised unit to meet prerequisite requirements for the university.
Cost: $1500 per unit of competency or $4500 full qualification
To achieve the qualification 10765NAT Certificate IV in Adult Tertiary Preparation, you must complete three (3) core units and six (6) elective units. (All units below)
Timeframe: 12 months
On successful completion of the 3 Core and 6 Elective Units of Competency, you will receive the Certificate IV in Adult Tertiary Preparation qualification issued by UQ College.
Statement of Attainment
To meet the university prerequisite requirements, you will be required to complete all elective units of competency within a subject area: E.G., Chemistry (ATPCHE001, ATPCHE002, ATPCHE003) you will then receive a Statement of Attainment issued by UQ College.
The Unique Student Identifier (USI) is a reference number allocated to each person undertaking recognised training courses. It is now a requirement to have a USI number to receive your Qualification or Statement of Attainment. If you don’t already hold a USI, you will need to go to www.usi.gov.au to create one.
Language Literacy and Numeracy Test (Online)
Basic Key Skills Builder (bksb) is an approved online skills review tool used by UQ College. It determines your reading and numeracy levels within the Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF).
We want to make sure you have the right skills and support to be successful in your course. The bksb helps us identify any areas where you may need additional support to help you achieve your goals.
The bksb tool identifies your current working levels for English and Maths, as well as your learning style. This gives us an overview of your learning strengths so we can best support you to achieve your learning goals. The bksb tool also identifies gaps in your skills. For each skill gap, there is a learning resource that includes practical exercises and answers to help you find success.
Understanding your own skill and knowledge levels is an important step in commencing a new course of study. This is why we recommend all new students undertake a bksb assessment before beginning any training.
All UQ College VET students applying for a qualification or subject specialisation must have achieved a Level 3 in the bksb skills review. This means your tests results need to say that you are working at a Level 4.
Under 18 years of age
If you are under 18 years of age, parental signature approval is required to validate the application form.
One form of photographic identification is required as part of your Certificate IV in Adult Tertiary Preparation program enrolment.
For Australian and New Zealand citizens
- A copy of your passport or driver’s licence or age card
Holder of a permanent Visa including a Permanent Humanitarian Visa
- A copy of your Passport or Immigration Card; AND
- A copy of your Visa or letter from the Dep. of Immigration and Citizenship
If you have undertaken additional studies or achieved qualifications after high school, we may need to assess the qualification. You may be asked to provide your Academic Record/Certificate/ Statement of Attainment with your enrolment.
As you go through the Online Enrolment Form, you will receive specific instructions on each page on how to successfully complete your enrolment.
A typed signature and date will be accepted on the completed enrolment form.
Click the link below for the units of competency and nominal hours required within 10765NAT Certificate IV in Adult Tertiary Preparation:
Form application process
Step A: Download the application form using the download button
Step B: Fill out the application form using Adobe Reader
Step C: Email your completed application form to email@example.com
or alternatively post the completed application form to:
UQ College, The University of Queensland, Seddon Building 82E, St Lucia, QLD 4072.
Step D: Complete the assessment interview at UQ College. Note: You will be contacted about scheduling an interview after UQ College has received your completed application form.